Adapt Plans Regularly
Projects are planned out for the four month iteration, but regular reflection will take place during that time – in order to adapt those plans as necessary and to respond to new understanding.
Plans are nothing. Planning is everythingDwight D. Eisenhower
While planning is important, a rigid plan that dictates activity, even for four months, would be a killer to innovation. Our planning therefore takes place continuously and adapts to changing information.
We don’t schedule a regular planning meeting. Instead planning meetings are called as necessary for each project.
We follow a classic PDSA learning cycle:
- Plan – Plan what we will do for the next time period (eg 1 day, 1 week, 1 month)
- Do – Execute the plan
- Study – Study the results
- Adapt – Reflect on the results and adapt the plan as necessary
Monthly Retrospective Event
The danger of adaptive planning is a superficial working through of the PDSA cycle, with little time to reflect in detail. This could result in missing out on real improvements. To counter this, we hold a monthly Retrospective, where project participants reflect on how the month has gone in more detail.
The Retrospective is not a planning event, but output will guide planning for the next month.
- Aim – To identify any issues/improvements from the past month and agree actions for the next month
- Attendees – Participants in any Create project
- Length – 1-1.5hrs
- Facilitator – Team Coach